It’s very easy to set up an email account. Alternatively, if you have a family member or support worker who can manage your account for you, they can register on your behalf using their email address. If someone is creating an account on your behalf using their own email address they must remember to enter your name on the first screen not their own.
- In the address bar at the top of your browser, type the address of the email provider you want to use such as:
gmail.google.com outlook.com mail.yahoo.com
- On the email provider’s website, there will be a ‘Create account’ button.
- You will need to complete some personal details such as your name, mobile phone number and date of birth. These may be used to help you reset your password should you forget it.
- As well as creating an email address, you will need to create a password so you can access your account at a later date.
- You need to make sure that your password is safe and secure - it needs to be something you will remember but that isn’t easy for people to guess. The password should be a mix of letters (both upper and lower case) and numbers, and at least 8 characters long.
- Some email providers will ask you to make the password longer than this or to include special characters such as ! and ? to increase security. They will advise you of this as you create your password.
- Make a note of any security questions you answer as these may also be used to help you reset your password.
- Before you finish, you will be asked to agree to the terms and conditions of the email service.
- Now you are ready to go! You can use your email address and send and receive emails.
- You can access your emails through the same website that you set up the account on and also add it to the mail app on any tablet or smartphone you may have.